Monday, October 6, 2008

My first Book

So here we go. Following the advice of a friend, I've decided to start a blog chronicling my first illustration job. Since I'm a few weeks into it I guess I should tell the story so far....

It started at my day job at a restaurant called Hot Doug's. I've been working there for about three and a half years now, which is the longest job that I've ever held down. Before that I'd never stayed at a place for more than eight months. The job is good; nice money and lots of vacation time. It also allows me a lot of time to draw.

Several customers knew that I doodled at work and took interest in it. They would talk to me about it, want to see my stuff, ask me if I did anything outside of Hot Doug's. So me knowing how to draw was pretty well known through out our regulars.

Enough back story, now to.....the....front...story? Well anyway...

One day, a regular started talking to me about a book that she was writing, and since I actually liked this particular customer, it was one of the few times that I paid attention. She was mentioning that she needed an illustrator for the project. Since she knew that I could draw and had seen some of my stuff, she asked if I would like to try out for the job. She said that she had to look at other artist but would love to give me a chance to work with her.

And as I said before, I had worked at Doug's for nearing four years now, and having started getting sick of the place, I of course said "aaa..Yeah!"

The project that Jill was writing a dog care book, and wanted it to have a fun, cartoony flavor. And she wanted to see what I had in mind for it so she asked for me to draw up a few sample pictures.

So I had a few weeks to draw up a couple samples, which was more than enough time to get it done. After having inked up a several drawings, I sent them off, hoping that I had done what was needed of me to get the job. The dog to the right is one of the samples.
The next day I get a phone call from Jill saying that she and Billy (the other author) loved the samples and wanted me on the project. Needless to say, I was excited about being chosen. She then told me that the editor was worried that the dog looked to goofy and asked if I could make it look, and I quote "Less goofy"

Knowing what needed to be done, I used that descriptive criticism to rework the dog. After reading the email from the editor that Jill forwarded to me, I was able to figure out what was making it so "goofy" and started reworking the eyes and snout.
After doing several different face (see above) I sent them off to Jill to see if I had fixed the goofy problem. After a few days, she gave me a call to tell me that the editor loved the top left one so I had the job.

Two weeks ago I went to Jill's house to sign the contracts and to meet Billy. After signing all the different things that I needed to sign (contracts, etc.) and getting all the chapters that had been finished, we started talking about the book, i.e. what was needed from me and any idea that I had.

So that's the story so far. Fast-forward two weeks to the present; I've read the available chapters, made notes on where I need to have illustrations, and went to Billy's studio to take reference pictures of the different procedures. Now it's time to actually do the work.

I took today and tomorrow off work so that I can get a good start on it and have spent most of the day drawing, which I have to say is not a bad way to spend a day. I've taken a break to start this blog to record for prosperity what I'm doing. I don't really know if anyone is going to read it but it might help with the project, and help get out to others what I do.

So that's the story so far. I'm undertaking a long journey into a new career and I hope you stay for the rest of the ride.

1 comment:

Alice Liddell said...

Well, at the very least, I'm reading your new blog. And, if I may say so myself, that sounds pretty damn awesome.

This is Ginny's heterosexual lifemate, Shaina, by the way.