Tuesday, December 9, 2008

New Project! Yay!

Ok. Story time...

As you all have figured out by now I still have a day job. Maybe one day I can do this for a living but until that day, the grind goes on. One day, a customer of mine (who knew I was illustrating a book) asked if I could do a Christmas Card for him. At the moment I was still doing the book, but I said as soon as I was done I would do it.

Now a little history about Jeremy's card (Jeremy, of course being the before mentioned customer)...

Jeremy has this friend Lenny
Every year Jeremy has a Christmas card in which we Photoshops Lenny's face onto some hilarious Christmas image. So Jeremy asks me if I could draw a Christmas card where a bunch of elves with Lenny's face are wrapping liqueur bottles and the like. I say ok, and now here we are.

I'm not going to say that I'm really good at caricatures but I've done a few in my day. The challenge here was to make it funny but also not insult Lenny. I do like what I do but I'm not a big fan of getting my ass kicked.

So I worked for a little while and came up with a couple of different versions....
I went with a combination between the middle two. The one on the left I tried the style from the old Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer stop motion special we all know and love. But I figured that since I'm not actually making the character and taking a picture of it, the humor would be lost. The one on the right is not what I was wanting at all. That is why I went with the mixture of the middle two.

Next time we'll see what I can do with what I have so far....

No comments: